Whether someone is looking to start an interior design career or planning to switch professions, the person must have a good grasp of the interior design jobs that are available. Also, it helps the person to know the salaries he or she can expect to make. With statistics and figures from various job portals, here are some essential interior design job positions. within a company. However, the specific salary might differ from the list below depending upon the location of the job and the nature of the firm.
What is Interior Design?
The interior design infuses art and science to transform the interior of a building and make it visually charming and healthier to reside. The roles and responsibilities of an interior designer include planning, researching, coordinating, and managing projects. The initial plan of projects depends upon the preferences of clients as well as the suggestions of designers. Interior designers are the best persons to take up such projects as they have the skill and experience required for this specific job.
Service Areas of Interior Designing:
The service areas of interior design are vast and complex. These can range from residential to commercial or industrial and many other fields.
The residential design caters to private residences such as houses and apartments. Based on individual situations, the needs of clients are the main aspects of this area of interior design.
Commercial design is a wider area of specialization where a designer is appointed for designing retail stores, corporate offices, hospitals, stadiums, entertainment zones, and other spaces.
Other areas of specialization may include spaces such as amusement parks, exhibitions, museums, galleries- to name a few. These interior design job positions demand extensive knowledge and special aesthetic sense from the designers.
Types of Job Roles or Designations:
- Executive: This designation is applied to a CEO, Founder, Owner, Co-owner, Partner, Principal, or Studio Principal of an organization. It is the top person at a design firm. Hence, the responsibilities include creating the design vision of the firm. An executive is also responsible for supervising every project that the firm takes up. The salary may vary depending upon various aspects. An average salary of an executive should be between $100,000 and $120,000.
- Director: As the name suggests, a director at an interior farm should be directing design duties within the firm. Directors often may need to make critical decisions regarding projects. The eligibility of holding this position is extensive knowledge of fieldwork and a long experience in the industry. An average salary of a director should be between $60,000 and $100,000.
- Senior Designer: The main role of senior designers to manage project deliverables and maintain deadlines. A senior designer has to constantly track workflow by collaborating with the project managers and design teams. The person is also responsible for the result of projects. The average salary of this position may vary between $50,000 and $80,000.
- Project Manager: While the senior designer oversees the technical part of the projects, the project managers have to supervise every aspect of the project from scratch. The job role includes creating project plans, applying technical models, estimating deadlines, choosing materials, and collaborating with design team members. The average salary of this position may vary between $40,000 and $70,000.
- Designer: Architects and designers at a law firm work under the supervision of senior designers and project managers. While one can apply for this role with a bachelor’s degree, additional schooling may be preferred by reputed designing firms. The average salary of architects and designers may vary between $30,000 and $65,000.
- Junior Designer: Many reputed firms hire candidates at this position initially to train them for a certain period. The job responsibility of a junior designer is to deliver tasks assigned by the designers, project managers, and senior designers. The salary of this position may vary between $20,000 and $40,000.
The above interior design job positions are common in most reputed firms. One can search online for relevant information about the recruitment process of different designing firms in the USA. Based on the company location and various other aspects, the responsibilities and salaries may differ. One should have artistic ability and problem-solving skills to excel in this profession.